Thursday, May 27, 2010

5.21.2010

I remember when Asiya and her mother found me at the Hy-Vee Bridal Show in Des Moines. They stopped by my booth, checked things out, looked at me and asked, "Have you ever filmed a traditional Indian wedding before?" I believe my response was something like... "Not yet but I would LOVE to!" I knew it would be a fun and exciting challenge and couldn't wait for my opportunity to try my hand at it for the first time.

To say that the ceremony they have is different is an understatement. Most traditional Indian weddings are 2 or sometimes 3 days long. I honestly had no idea about that. It's amazing! The way Asiya explained it to me is probably the easiest way to describe it. The first day is more like a 'reception' atmosphere. A day filled with gifts, dancing and celebrating. The second day would be the actual marriage ceremony. Different in it's own way. The bride remains separate from the groom while the marriage proposal (on paper) is reviewed by the groom. In this case it was Adeel. Adeel consented to the marriage and then the father, and officiant (and anyone else asked to join) will take the document to the bride for her to review and sign. After she signs they will then take it back to the groom and have him sign. Once he does they are officially married, even though they haven't even been in the same room as the other. Shortly after the bride comes down and another time of celebration begins. This is how it was for Asiya and Adeel. Although, I was told by their family that there are many other ways that it is done as well. It all depends on what part of India you are from. Very cool stuff! I had an amazing time and wouldn't have traded this experience for anything!

The video below is of the first day. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment